Hi Lovelies. I had a giveaway on Instagram last week and it featured an adorable straw floppy hat with Out of Office written in sequins. I had to have it. When I searched for it, I found it for $90, which I just couldn’t bring myself to buy. So, I thought I would try to do my own DIY floppy hat. I looked on a few sites to locate a hat so I wasn’t driving all over the place and Target had it in stock at my local location. So I grabbed the hat and headed to Joann’s.
I picked up Fabri-Tac, black sequin trim, and set out to make the perfect floppy hat.
Here is how to create this out of office hat on your own.
3 yards of sequin trim (option)
Fabri-Tac Premium Fabric Glue (option)
- Lay out lettering without cutting (there will obviously be a strand of sequins where the spaces go) This will allow you to center and check for letter sizing.
- Cut the sequin strand between each word.
- Slowly pick up each letter a few inches at a time apply fabric tac to the back of the sequins and lay on to the hat. The great thing about Fabri-Tac is you can move it around a bit and you have time until it dries.
- For the letter T, glue the cross down first and then lay the vertical part of the t over the top.
- Do the same thing for the words “of” and “office”, slowly gluing down each letter.
- Take about 5 sequins and circle up for the dot of the I.
- Viola. You have your very own “out of office” hat.
Of course you can switch up the words, but just think about how many letters, how it will fit around the brim, and the amount of sequins you will need. I used roughly 8 inches of sequins per a letter. Keep that in mind when you are adjusting this for your custom saying. This hat cost me $26 with a 20% off coupon for my products from Joann’s.